Early Head Start
TEAM Early Education offers an Early Head Start initiative: the Maternal Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting (MIECHV) Program. Families from Ansonia or Derby are eligible if the mother is pregnant and/or the family has a child or children birth to three.
The MIECHV program offers a variety of family-focused services to these expectant parents and families with new babies and young children.
- A Child & Family Educator (CFE) provides families with a weekly 90 minute home visit (covering topics as maternal and child health, positive parenting practices, safe home environments and access to services).
- Developmentally appropriate materials are used in the home for parents and children to play together with guidance from the CFE.
- The Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) is a child screening and monitoring system completed by the parent and will be used during home visits. Throughout the early years, children grow and change tremendously; this tool allows the parent to determine if a child's development is on schedule.
The families must also participate in bi-monthly socializations for an opportunity to network with other parents and the children can play together. These group gatherings allow children in the program to have peer interaction through age appropriate activities and build relationships with one another.
- Young infants are exposed to new sights, sounds, textures and sensory experiences that provide numerous learning opportunities.
- Older infants and toddlers gain access to equipment and materials and have experiences that build upon their emerging developmental capacities.
- Parents benefit in many ways from the group socializations. They develop friendships with other parents and broaden their system of social support. They learn new ideas about parenting from other parents, CFE staff and community partners.
Through this exciting program, parents realize that they are their children's first and best teacher. Parents become more confident in their roles and provide support and stimulating home environments for their children.
Fee: No Fee
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
TEAM Early Education
80 Howard Avenue
Ansonia, CT 06401
Early Head Start Manager
Phone: 203-734-8609 ext. 13